Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Sing Alone

Sing Alone

Artist: David John Matthews
Album: The Complex
翻唱:陳奕迅“怕死”

It is another great song created by David John Matthews after “When The World Ends”.

One of the most important reasons that Blue Man Group is so fascinating to me is for its music. Those post-rock like incidental music is just wonderful for both its mood and the irony it accompany the content of the show. Not only the creators of Blue Man provide those extraordinary music, thanks to various musicians contribution to the performance, some of the music is just outstanding.

What is funny is the reason I listen to Sing Along is because I heard Eason Chan has a covered version of this song. But since the first time I play it, I cannot not help keeping listening to it again and again, which I would not normally do to a piece of music. Even when I am not listening to it, I failed to put the music away from my head. The simple beat and sentences just keep wandering and wandering. Hell, that is just perfect.

The structure of the song, somehow, really makes me think about minimalism, both the music part and the lyric. The music part is just simply a repetitive electronic percussion. Although David’s music is always simple, this particular piece just so outstand. The music actually reminds me a little bit about Thom Yorke’s latest album “The Eraser”. The only difference is Thom Yorke edited the music more complicated without altered the rhythm and beat. (Thom’s new music is simple too) However, the pipe whipping sound occurred in the song really inebriates me a lot. It is the delicacy that art needs to impress people. On the other hand, the lyric part of Sing Alone is also simple as hell. But the feeling and mood it created you cannot imagine how simple the writing is. In each phrase Davie just repeats the same sentence again and again. And these phrases are also repetition of each other.

The sad and lazy tone in David Matthews’ voice is also an ecstatic reason for my interest in the song. I don't personally like Eason Chan’s covered version. His voice is too hyper. I rather listen to his insane high pitch.

If I sing a song, will you sing along? Or maybe it is just a sweetest thing to say to someone.



Lyric:

If I sing a song
Will you sing along?
If I sing a song
Will you sing along?
If I sing a song
Will you sing along?
So I just keep singing right here by myself

If I tell you I'm strong
Will you play along?
If I tell you I'm strong
Will you play along?
If I tell you I'm strong
Will you play along?
Well you see I'm as insecure as anybody else

If I follow along
Does it mean I belong?
If I follow along
Does it mean I belong?
If I follow along
Does it mean I belong?
Oh will I keep on feeling different from everybody else

If I sing a song (If I sing a song)
(If I sing a song) Would you sing along?
I will just keep singing right here by myself
Just keep singing it by myself

If I sing a song (If I sing a song)
(If I sing a song) Would you sing along?
I will just keep singing right here by myself
Just keep singing it by myself

If I sing a song (If I sing a song)
(If I sing a song) Could you sing along?
I will just keep singing right here by myself
Just keep singing it by myself

If I sing a song (If I sing a song)
(If I sing a song) Would you sing along?
I will just keep singing right here by myself
Just keep singing it by myself

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home